Introduction to Coaching
The Introductory Coach works with paddlers who wish to gain coaching on core paddling skills. The Introductory Coach would ideally operate under the supervision of a current Foundation Coach or above however can work independently under the following conditions:
- Enclosed waters with no current and little wind influence
- Hazards are minimal and there is always ready access to safe landing
- Distance is no greater than 50m from shore
- All participants are wearing lifejackets
- All participants can swim
- Participants have basic craft handling skills (e.g. moving craft forward and turning around)
- Ratio of 1:4
Further details and how to register for the Introduction to Coaching course are available here.
The Foundation Coach works with paddlers who wish to gain an introduction to discipline specific skills in a flatwater environment. The Foundation Coach is for coaches training paddlers for state level competitions. Conditions should be relevant to the discipline and within the capabilities of both the participant and equipment.
- Introduction to Coaching Course
- Supporting letter from a club committee member or head coach to confirm that you have conducted a minimum of 8 coaching sessions under the supervision of a Foundation, Level 1 or higher Flat water Coach.
Further details and how to register for the Foundation Coaching course are available here.
To help your coaching journey, a range of resources have been collated and provided below:
- Food Hygiene & Safety
- Minimising Sickness
- Race Analysis
- Race Warm Up
- Self Massage
- Supplement Use
- Training Zones
International Canoe Federation (ICF) Performance Education Webinars:
There are eight topics from series one which can be watched on demand here.
ICF Coaching Manuals:
Click on each image to download